Sunday, June 20, 2010

hello again.

Hi. Its been quite a while. A lot has happened since my last login, I guess I'll recap the last couple of months.

March was hectic, I started a new job working with developmentally disabled children, which I can't discuss much or I'll get fired (I might get fired just for saying that), but its pretty much a whole new dimension when I'm there. It opened up my eyes to an entirely other realm and I'm grateful for the experience. Still working there now, but i'm per diem aka i work when i feel like it, which is pretty sweet.

I also got a car. 2000 Toyota Camry named Sherman. He needs some work but hes awesome, I love him and thank him for getting me from point A to B. It was much needed once I moved into an apartment off campus. LI public transportation is a complete joke.

Other that, much of my time was spent pretty much floating around lala land. Senioritis hit me hard, but I got my ish done. After ruling out an MBA program at Stony Brook (because I couldn't fathom the idea of being there another year), I finally got around to applying to Teach for America and Hunter. After careful consideration I realized now wasn't the time to just pick up and leave my mom so although I made it to the final interview stage of teach for America, I withdrew my app. Maybe later... So back to square one, Hunter. Long story short, I got in... But also changed my mind and declined the offer.

I never thought I'd take a year off but I'm confident about my decision for several reasons.I mean, i'm financially a hot mess. I need time to get my finances together but also, the program I got into would have tied me down to NYC for atleast 5 years straight. 5 semesters earning an MSed in Mental Health Counseling, then atleast a year or two completing 2000hrs for a liscensce to only work in NY, then working in NY. I gota get outa here for a while. I love New York but I gotta see what else is out there and now is the time to make those arrangements. In addition, I may have underestimed myself by going for a Masters then a Phd. I have the grades, drive, and ambition to go straight into a doctoral program so I'll do just that when I get a little more experience.

Oh yeah, somewhere in this mix I graduated! I am now a Stony Brook University Alumna with a Degree in Psychology and Sociology and a Minor in Child and Family Studies. I got to speak at my Psychology graduation which was really cool and I also made Cum Lade (honors for graduates in the top 85%). I'm not bragging am I? I don't care. I'm proud of myself and I'm happy that I made the people counting on me proud as well. Its all just evidence that hard work pays off.

So yeah thats where I'm at right now. I've opted to move back home in Queens and work my little butt off. I'll be at the beacon for my last summer (after 7!) and also keep my side gig in LI to make some extra money. I'm hoping to have a full time job by the end of August, definitely something relating to my field. We'll see.

Life is good but theres always bad with the good. My great grandma, nearly 95, is in the hospital as I type this. Shes not doing well and as much as I've mentally prepared myself for this, it still hurts my heart. I don't even want to blog about it right now. I just.. love her.

So hopefully I'll blog a bit more often, I love reading old entries and I definitely have to blog about my road trip to Tennessee for Bonnaroo, among other adventures... but for now I need to nap then head to the hospital.

Peace,
D.

0 comments: